Mary MacKillop Primary School opened in 1995, the same year as St Mary of the Cross MacKillop was beatified. We are one of three schools in the Parish of Our Lady Help of Christians, Narre Warren. Our House Teams, Colours and Buildings are named in memory of people who have significantly contributed to the life and history of our school.
O’Bryan Administration Office
Fr. Denis O’Bryan was the Parish Priest of Our Lady Help of Christians Parish from December 1991 – July 1995. In 1993, Fr. Denis received approval from Bishop Coffey for the naming of the second school in the Parish – Mary MacKillop Primary School.
Named in memory of Fr. John Allen the Parish Priest of Our Lady Help of Christians Parish, when Mary MacKillop first opened in 1995. Fr. John Allen was officially welcomed into the Parish of Our Lady Help of Christians on Sunday 27 August, 1995. He had arrived early in July, a week after Mary MacKillop Primary School had moved into its new school buildings. Fr. John remained Parish Priest until 2011.
Paul Lomas was appointed Principal of Mary MacKillop Primary School in May 1994. Over the next nine years, with the school’s rapid growth, Paul Lomas oversaw many new building projects, including the gymnasium built in 2003.
School House Teams
FITZROY - RED HOUSE
In 1842, on January 15, Mary MacKillop was born in a small
house in Brunswick Street, Fitzroy.
PENOLA - GREEN HOUSE
In 1866, Mary MacKillop together with Fr. Tenison Woods
set up her first school in a small stable in Penola, South Australia.
PORTLAND - BLUE HOUSE
In 1864, Portland Victoria, Mary MacKillop established Bay
View House, a place of support and education for young ladies.
EDEN - YELLOW HOUSE
In 1891, the Sisters of St. Joseph arrived in Eden, New South
Wales and founded the St. Joseph’s Primary School.